Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sins of Omission

I discovered the blessings of Lent in college. Raised in a less liturgical Protestant tradition, I came to understand and appreciate the liturgical calendar more when I began attending a wonderful Episcopal Church during my junior year. I acknowledged Ash Wednesday for the first time my senior year, and participated in several Lenten services and disciplines the church offered. I also "gave something up" for Lent for the first time that year--pork and shellfish, I think it was, channelling a kosher vibe.

Since then, I have given up chocolate, beer, beef, all meats, etc., as many do during this time of year. I practice these omissions with a keen determination not to be doing so for a selfish gain, like losing weight or whatnot, but rather to focus on filling that void with prayer and reflection on God. I have done so with varying degrees of success, and vividly recall the thick prime rib I wolfed down on Easter 2005.

This year, I decided that rather than giving up something, I would give up myself--that is, give of my time and energies for others. I planned to use Cool People Care's "5 Minutes of Caring" to guide my actions. Two weeks later, I hadn't looked at the site since Ash Wednesday. I decided then to start a daily discipline of reading the daily lectionary and setting aside time for prayer. I have also failed in that endeavor, and lament that I am "wasting" this Lent by not using this time of preparation to focus myself on God and my spiritual life.

Obviously, Lent is not the only time one can or should focus on such things, and I have increased my time spent in prayer as I seek God's comfort and guidance though this "limbo stage" in Matt and my careers. However, the lesson that really comes to mind from my "failures" these past few weeks is, once again, how much harder it is to actively do something than to avoid doing something. Many Christians today insist that the keys to living a moral life are not drinking, not smoking, and not having extramarital sex. While avoiding these indulgences may help one to have a healthier body and avoid emotional baggage (benefits God surely wishes us to enjoy), do such omissions really help one be more Christlike? How much more discipline and faith does it require to actively give of one's time and resources for the less fortunate? To practice selflessness and peace? Which would God prefer? What does the Lord require of us, but to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God?

I am reminded of a humorous coincidence that is quite relevant here. I have a cousin named John, whose birthday is March 16. Some family members call him "John 3:16" for that reason. When I started dating my now-husband, I thought I'd check out his "birthday verse" since he happens to have a gospel writer's name. Matthew 11:19 is actually quite fitting for Matt: "For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say 'he has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say 'here is a glutton and a drunkard'... but wisdom is proved right by her actions." Some Christians would (and do) criticize my pastor-hubby for his enjoyment of alcohol, but as the verse says, Christ reveals the logos by his actions, not by his temperance. It seems followers of Christ should strive to do the same.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. Abstaining from drinking, smoking, and fooking is relatively easy if you create the right environment for yourself. Ridding oneself of the selfish baggage we carry with us is hard no matter what environment we live in. Mega-churches prove that most people are into a quick-fix spirituality. The decline of liturgical traditions that emphasize true self denial are proof that maybe people are getting the message after all and are running scared.

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL, Matthew 11:19. I love it!! That's PERFECT!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home