Friday, December 22, 2006

Vocation and Avocation

Vocation literally means "calling," though we colloquially use the term to describe what we do for a living, which I'm pretty sure for most people is a far cry from what they really want to be doing, or what they believe God wants them to be doing. Avocation, strangely, would seem to literally mean "non-calling," though to most of us, our avocation--the thing we really want to be doing, and enjoy doing--is much more likely what we are "called" to do in this world.

As I struggle with what educational or career moves to make to escape the boring and thoroughly unstimulating thing I do for a living now, I have been thinking about these terms in both their literal and colloquial meanings. What should I do for a living? What am I called to do? What do I want to spend my time doing? Ideally, these would all be the same, though I know plenty of people make themselves happy by focusing their energy and sense of purpose and well-being on things they do outside of work.

Allow me to analyze the vocation options I've been considering, simply for the sake of getting it out in writing. (If you were hoping for more philosophical musings, you can stop reading now. This post is purely selfish.)

As I said in my last post, I would love to teach religion to high schoolers. Why? It would satisfy my desire to read and discuss topics in religion and culture, and to influence the next generation concerning the importance of such matters. On the other hand, I've learned in my year and a half in the "real world" that I'm not a big fan of being at the mercy of a pre-set schedule. Being a high school teacher definitely does not afford the freedom of control over my own life that I so desire, and that will become even more important when I have children. Though I feel chained to my isolating, fluorescent-lit cubicle now, I probably have more freedom in my current position (in market research for a religious company) than I would as a teacher. My current position affords me the opportunity to study religious trends, which is important to me, and yet I am still unhappy here.

My current job is theoretically a viable option, if I could really make something of this position. I am planning to start a new church-trends newsletter in January that will use my religious education, and also help the company, I hope. Nevertheless, I want to escape this cavern and get an office near a window ASAP, and earn the opportunity to work on my own schedule or in a location of my choosing.

Professorship is something I have long considered, and feel really would be a good fit for me. It affords the same intellectual stimulation and opportunity for influence as at the high school level, but with much more freedom of schedule. (Two classes a day plus one office hour? Sure beats 8 hours in front of a computer!) I can see myself with my laptop or a stack of papers to grade, sitting at the campus coffee shop, chatting with students as they pass by... It's a beautiful image, and not entirely out of the question. The problem is simply the fact that I do not want to go back to Vanderbilt right now (or perhaps anywhere) and trudge my way through the intimidating level of competition one too often finds in groups of young academics. Let's put that one on the back burner.

Being an editor of religious books also sounds very appealing to me. It offers the scholarly environment I crave, while also using some of my primary talents--grammar, rewriting, and attention to detail. The main challenge here is that such positions are rare. I check the job listings on our company intranet every day to see if one has opened, and there must be ten sales or financial positions listed for every creative job that appears. This is my goal for the moment, now, though, and while I feel qualified for such a job (if one would just open up!), perhaps there are things I could do to make myself even more highly marketable. The step I have tentatively decided to take is to pursue a program in graphic design, in order to learn the technical skills I need to professionally do what I enjoy as an amateur now. If I must stay in my current position for another year, hopefully the creative outlet I find in these evening classes will motivate me to find/invent work to occupy my days. If I find an editing position, the design techniques I learn should only enhance my layout and typography skills.

Sounds like a plan, Stan. (Unless I change my mind... again.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home